Friday 15 May 2015

Geek me, I'm done.

I've just finished watching the third season finale of Arrow with my 11 year old son. I bloody love it, I love how enthusiastic and excited my son gets about it, I love how absolutely beautiful Stephen Amell is, I love how camp John Barrowman is, even playing an evil mastermind, I really love when Flash turns up in an episode and I even love the gorgeously young and skinny girls playing all of the female characters.  I'm not sure my son knows just how lucky he is being a geek today. Over the many, many years that I have loved Science Fiction, fantasy and comic books, there have been many, many bad films and tv shows.  Every time I watched one of these a little bit of my geek died inside as normals were given more ammunition to throw at my beloved characters. Recently and now though things have changed, NOW though...Oh. My. TARDIS, shall I list them? Do you want me to give you a list?

Iron Man
Thor
Captain America
DOCTOR WHO
Star Trek
Arrow
Avengers Assemble
Agents of Shield
Star Trek into Darkness
Torchwood
Agent Carter
Dark Knight
Flash
Guardians of theGalaxy
Man of Steel
DAREDEVIL
Avengers Age of Ultron

And, AND imminent

Ant Man
DOCTOR WHO is always imminent
Jessica Jones.
Defenders
Suicide Squad
Batman v Superman, I can't actually remember them all, there have been so many and so many to come. However, I'm not sure I like this. These big budget, well written, glossy films and shows have been good, I mean, some of them have been excellent, characterful and exciting and more recently pretty damn dark. Normal people have started to take notice of the long time lonely world of the geek, they have watched and enjoyed MY films and shows, now when I am at the cinema with my kids watching a Marvel movie we aren't the only three people who don't leave when the credits start to roll. Now when I go to Forbidden Planet, it's busy. Lots of normals buying my shit.  On the fiftieth anniversary of Doctor Who a couple of years ago you couldn't buy a Sonic Screwdriver for love nor money. Ten years ago I wore a disguise simply walking into that shop and it was an Aladin's cave of goodness, items overstocked and getting dusty...Geekdom is evolving and unlike Charizard I'm not convinced it is a good thing.


1 comment:

  1. I agree! Despite Steven Moffat, Doctor Who is always immenent.

    ReplyDelete

April A to Z Blogging Challenge